This is a treatise on the attributes of Allah.
Completed “22 Shawwal” by Daud b. ‘Abd Allah al-Fatani. Shaykh Ahmad b. Muhammad Zayn al-Fatani allegedly claimed that this book was not by Shaykh Daud al-Fatani and that the latter’s name was only attached to the manuscript by Meccan booksellers to increase sales. Manuscript copies of the text, however, reinforce the author as Shaykh Daud al-Fatani.
There are numerous anonymously authored works with this title in Malaysian archives. Further study of these various manuscripts is needed to determine whether they are all copies of the same work or have divergent origins.
3 known manuscript copies
Manuscript copies with partially or undated colophons (1):
- Copied “malam 20 Shawwal.” PNM 523: 11 ff.
Manuscripts without colophons (2):
- PNM 187: 12 ff., very poor condition.
- PNM 667: 14 ff.
- 1882 [Mecca?]. 32 pp. Holding: UL.
- 9 Aug 1884. Singapore: Haji Muhammad Salih Jawi Rembani, “Sabtu, 16 Shawwal 1301 AH].” 32 pp., litho. Jawi. Holding: UL.
- 18 May 1892. Singapore or Bombay: 32 pp., litho. Jawi. Holding: UL.
- 1894. Singapore: 32 pp., litho. Jawi. Holding: PNM.
- 1900/1. Bombay: al-Muhammadi al-Bandar, 1318 AH. 32 pp.