This book covers adab (cultural knowledge and etiquette) and is primarily a Sufi text purporting the wisdom of various Sufi masters, the virtues of the holy days and months of Islam, and the rights of a wife and the ethics of raising children based on the traditions of the Prophet Muhammad, the advice of his companions, and other scholars, especially Sufis.
Completed “hari Juma, 27 Jumada al-awwal 1239 AH” [29 Jan 1824], by Shaykh Daud b. ‘Abd Allah al-Fatani, in Mecca.
The work only experienced mild distribution through the network from the 1860s to the 1880s. On rare occasions, copyists included only a set portion of the text, such as covering the holy days of just one particular month, for example, and sometimes included it with the works of other authors active in the network.
19 known manuscript copies
Manuscripts with dated colophons (2):
- 12 Dec 1864. Copied by Muhammad Yusuf b. ‘Abd Allah b. al-marhum Muhammad Salih Darul Paloh, Kota Bharu [Kelantan], “pada waktu zuhur, hari Ahad, 26 Rajab 1281 AH,” in Mecca. IAM 351: 280 pp., incomplete.
- 1885/6. Copied 1303 AH. MNI uncatalogued, 381 pp.
Manuscripts with undated or partially dated colophons (2):
- Before 1870/1. Copied before 1287 AH. IAM 395A: 7 pp. (only includes the section on the month of Ramadan). Bound together with IAM 395B: [kitab zindiq], IAM 395C: Jam al-Fawaid wa Jawhhir al-Qalaid, and IAM 395D: [kitab memberi nama menurut].
- aft 1870/1. Copied after 1287 AH. IAM 395C: 5 pp., incomplete. (only includes a short section on the month of Rajab). Bound together with IAM 395A: Jam al-Fawaid wa Jawhhir al-Qalaid, IAM 395B: [kitab zindiq], and IAM 395D: [kitab memberi nama menurut].
Manuscripts without colophons (15):
- IAM 91: 286 pp., incomplete. Pages out of order.
- IAM 350: 56 pp., incomplete.
- PNM 154: 271 ff.
- PNM 631: 274 ff., incomplete. Black ink has bled badly through this mss rendering it unreadable.
- PNM 725: 46 ff., incomplete.
- PNM 826: 112 ff., incomplete.
- PNM 833: 44 ff., a significant hole exists through most of this text.
- PNM 836(3): 10 ff., incomplete.
- PNM 886: 29 ff., incomplete.
- PNM 1326(1): 46 ff., incomplete.
- PNM 1540: 267 ff., incomplete.
- PNM 1781: 9 ff., incomplete.
- PNM 2649(1): 130 ff., incomplete.
- PNM 2672: 96 ff., incomplete.
- PNM 2948: 91 ff., incomplete.
This book experienced moderate levels of printing in the publishing houses of the Middle East from the 1880s into the early decades of the twentieth century.
- 1885/6. Mecca: al-Matba’ah al-Miriyya al-Kayna, 381 pp. Holding: UL.
- 1913. Mecca: al-Matba’ah al-Miriyya al-Kayna. Holding: PNM.
- 1927 [?]. Cairo: Mustafa al-Babi al-Halabi wa awladuhu.
- 1940s. Penang & Singapore: Sulaiman Marie. This text appeared in the margins of al-Fawa’id al-Bahiyyah by al-Raniri. Holding: PNM.
- 1980. Bangkok: Matba’ah Muhammad al-Nahdi, 332 pp. This text appeared in the margins of al-Fawa’id al-Bahiyyah by al-Raniri. Holding: KITLV, UKM.