Popular Name(s): Tok Pulai Chondong, Imam ‘Abd al-Samad
Origin: Kampung Bira, Patani
Location(s): balai Satun Fakih Kampung Laut (1236/1820)
Biographical Details: b. c.1207/1792, Kampung Bukit, Pulai Chondong. He had an older sister named Halimah. d. 1290/1873. He went to Mecca, c. 1808, at the age of 16, where he studied with Shaykh Muhammad Adham and Shaykh Da’ud b. ‘Abd Allah al-Fatani. He then returned to the peninsula, but later returned to Mecca in 1256/1840. He first taught at Kampung Bilai Talib in 1273/1857. He took his son Muhammad Arshad to Mecca in 1278/1861, returning to Kelantan in 1281/1864. He opened the first pondok in Pulai Chondong, Kelantan.
- Haji ‘Abd Allah, a teacher in his hometown of Kampung Bira, Patani.
- Shaykh Muhammad Adham, teacher of al-Quran
- Shaykh Da’ud b. ‘Abd Allah al-Fatani (1769-1847)
- Tuan Hassan Besut (d. c. 1864)
- Shaykh ‘Abd al-Malik b. ‘Isa al-Tarkanu (fl. 1823), Sungai Rengas, Kuala Terengganu
- Haji Wan Musa al-Fatani
- Tok Wan ‘Ali Kutan (1837-1913)
- Tok Ayah Jamal (d. 1886)
- Haji Ya’qub b. Muhammad (d. 27 Nov 1907)
- Haji Ahmad b. Muhammad (d. 1915), younger brother of Tok Ayah Jamal
- Haji Muhammad Saman b. Haji Wan Ta’ib (d. 1916/7, in Bunut Payong)
- Haji Umar b. Haji ‘Abd al-Samad, his son, known as Imam Surau Kerawang, (d. 21 Oct 1911)
- Haji Muhammad ‘Arshad b. Haji ‘Abd al-Samad, his son (d. 5 Jan 1912)
- Haji Wan ‘Abd al-Qadir b. Haji Wan Sulayman, teacher of Raja Limbat and the surrounding area (d. early 1900s)
- Haji Derani (d. c. 1880), his cousin, Pangkal Gong
- Haji Muhammad Bendang Riong, Patani, came from Kampung Langgok, Dewan, Kota Bharu (d. c. 1950, Patani)
- [kitab do’a] – MIM 460
- Abdullah, H. W. M. Shaghir. Syeikh Daud bin Abdullah al-Fatani: Ulama dan Pengarang Terulung Asia Tenggara. Shah Alam: Penerbitan Hizbi, 1990.
- Daud, Ismail Che. “Tok Pulai Chondong (1792-1873),” in Tokoh-tokoh Ulama’ Semenanjung Melayu, vol. 1, 3rd ed., 67-80. Kota Bharu: Majlis Ugama Islam dan Adat Istiadat Melayu Kelantan, 2001.