This text focuses on kalam and contains a dhikr (method of chanting) that includes repetition of the names of Allah, supplications and aphorisms from various hadith, and references to the Qur’an. This set of teachings was intended for the Shaṭṭāriyya tariqa and was based upon the teachings of Shaykh Daud al-Fatani’s teacher, al-Marzuqi.
Completed Dhu’l-Qad’ah 18, 1247 AH [August 25, 1829] by Shaykh Daud b. ‘Abd Allah al-Fatani, in Mecca.
This text never gained much popularity in the network, appearing briefly in the 1860s and 1870s, when the scholars were at their peak production. It was sometimes included in manuscript compilations that included Shaykh Daud al-Fatani’s other works Munyat al-Musalli and Kifayat al-Muhtaj but more commonly with works by other scholars of the network.
7 known manuscript copies
Manuscripts with dated colophons (2):
- 1866/7. Copied 1283 AH. PNM 669: 20 ff.
- 1878, Jan 29. Copied “hari Selasa, 25 Muharram 1295 AH.” PNM 2523(3): 18 ff.
Manuscripts with undated or partially-dated colophons (2):
- Copied “waktu asar, hari Khamis, 7 Safar.” PNM 1798G: 78 ff., black and orange or light red ink. Bound together with PNM 1798A: [Sirat al-Mustaqim], PNM 1798B: [wasiat nabi], PNM 1798C: Qawaid al-Islam, PNM 1798D: Pengertian Shahadat, PNM 1798E: Tanbih al-Ghafilin, PNM 1798F: Kashf al-Kiram.
- Copied by ‘Abd al-Rahman b. ‘Abd Allah Fatani in Kelantan. PNM 2047: 189 pp.
Manuscripts without colophons (3):
- IAM 622E: 7 pp., incomplete. Bound together with IAM 622A: Munyat al-Musalli, IAM 622B: [kitab tawhid], PNM 622C: [kitab tajwid], PNM 622D: Kifayat al-Muhtaj, PNM 622F: Zahrat al-Murid.
- IAM 668: 40 pp., incomplete.
- PNM 666B: 18 ff., incomplete. Bound together with PNM 666A: [kitab tasawwuf], which was dated 15 Ramadan 1233 AH [Jul 19, 1818].
- 1885. Bombay: publisher unknown. Holding: UL.
- 1911. Mecca: Matbaah al-Miriyya al-Kayna. Holding: UL.
- . Singapore: Matbaah Dar al-Tiba’t al-Misriya. Holding: UM.
- 1996. Kuala Lumpur: Khazanah Fathaniyah. Holding: PNM, UKM.
- 2001. Kuala Lumpur: Khazanah Fathaniyah. Holding: UKM, National Library Board (Singapore).