Popular Name(s): Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qadir Bukit Bayas, Tok Shaykh Qadi, Tuan Bukit Bayas
Biographical Details: b. 1790s, d. 1864, in Kampung Paya Bunga, Terengganu; a contemporary of Shaykh Ahmad Khatib b. ‘Abd al-Ghafur Sambas, Tuan Hassan Besut, and Shaykh ‘Abd Allah b. ‘Abd al-Rahim al-Fatani.
He first studied at several pondok in Patani as well as Pondok Kuala Bekah. He went to Mecca on hajj to continue his education. He returned to the peninsula, c. 1830, where planned first to return to Patani, but had to change plans because of the 1831-2 war (in which he may have taken part). He soon after settled in Terengganu around 1832, where he opened a mosque and pondok in Bukit Bayas and taught usul al-din, fiqh, tasawwuf, and other subjects. He also opened a pondok in Kampung Paya Bunga and in other locations in Terengganu. He later was appointed Mufti of Terengganu by his student Sultan ‘Umar, who he advised on religious matters. He was a member of the Shattariyya tariqa.
- Shaykh Da’ud bin ‘Abd Allah al-Fatani (1769-1847; Mecca)
- Shaykh Muhammad Salih b. ‘Abd al-Rahman al-Fatani (Mecca)
- Shaykh Muhammad Salih b. ‘Abd al-Rahman al-Jawi al-Fatani
- Haji Mahmud b. Muhammad Yusuf al-Tarkanu (fl. 1819-74)
- Shaykh Nik Dir Patani (1829-98)
- Tok Shaykh Duyong (c. 1802-89)
- Tok Ku Tuan Besar
- Sultan Terengganu—Baginda ‘Umar
- al-Targhib wa al-tarhib – 8 Rabi al-awwal 1234 AH [5 Jan 1819 CE]
- Risalah fi bayan hukum al-bay‘ wa-al-riba – 28 Rabi al-awwal 1234 AH [25 Jan 1819 CE]
- Risalah pada menyatakan hukum jual beli dan menyatakan pula hukum riba – 28 Rabi al-awwal 1234 AH [25 Jan 1819 CE]
- Abdullah, Haji W. Mohd. Shaghir. “Syeikh Abdul Qadir bin Abdur Rahim Terengganu.” Dakwah 13, no. 149 (Aug 1989): 21-23.
- Abdullah, Hj. Wan Mohd. Shaghir. Penyebaran Islam & Silsilah Ulama: Sejagat Dunia Melayu, vol. 10. Kuala Lumpur: Khazaniah Fathaniyah, 1999: 42-50.
- Bakar, Muhammad Abu. Ulama Terengganu: Suatu Soratan. Kuala Terengganu: Utusan Publications, 1991: 145-53.
- Fatani, Ahmad Fathy al-. Ulama Besar dari Patani. Bangi: Penerbit Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, 2002: 249-51.
- Sheppard, “Short History of Terengganu,” p. 6.