Popular Name(s): Haji Ya’qub Ligor
Biographical Details: b. 12:00 pm Jumaat, Mar 1892, in Melayu Ban Mai Telak Keak, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Legor, Siam. His mother’s name was Asiah. He married Hajjah Fatimah b. Tuan Guru Haji Da’ud Kampung Menuang (the latter of which was a teacher of Tok Bachok, Haji Ya’qub Gajah Mati, and Tok Kemuning). He had 18 children. d. Ahad, 26 Rabi al-akhir 1391 AH [20 Jun 1971 CE], in Legor.
He first studied at Pondok Bendang Gucil in Patani. After that, he went back and forth between Patani and Kelantan for his education, eventually studying with Tok Kenali, who brought him to Masjid Muhammadi in Kota Bharu, where he began teaching 1 May 1919 CE.
- Haji ‘Ibrahim Bendang Gucil (Bendang Gucil, Patani)
- Tok Kenali (1868-1933), Masjid Muhammadi, Kota Bharu
- Haji Wan ‘Abd al-Qadir Melor (1903-58)
- Awang, Ismail, “Haji Yaakub Legor (1892-1971),” in Tokoh-tokoh Ulama’ Semenanjung Melayu, vol. 2, 2nd ed., 167-76. Kota Bharu: Majlis Ugama Islam dan Adat Istiadat Melayu Kelantan, 2007.
- Daud, Ismail Che, “Ulama’ Muhajirin di Kelantan,” in Tokoh-tokoh Ulama’ Semenanjung Melayu, vol. 2, 2nd ed., 567-71. Kota Bharu: Majlis Ugama Islam dan Adat Istiadat Melayu Kelantan, 2007.