Popular Name(s): Haji Yahya Kupang
Biographical Details: b. 1906, in Kampung Pisang, Kupang, Baling, Kedah. His grandfather Tok ‘Idris (known as Mat Arih) was the brother of Salih (Tok Salih Jong) and settled at Batu Kurau, Perak and later at Kampung Jerai. His mother was Hajar b. Haji ‘Abd Allah b. Tok Samad, Kampung Pisang, Kupang. Tok Samad emigrated from Patani. ‘Idris and Samad were cousins. His father married twice, first to Mek Teh b. Haji ‘Abd Allah bin Senggang (by whom he had children named Mek, Senawi, and Mat Dom), and secondly to his mother mentioned above, by whom he had 2 boys and 2 girls. d. 1959.
After finishing his early education with Tuan Guru Haji Ahmad, he went to study at Sekolah Melayu Sik for six years. Then, in 1924, he went to study in Mecca, where he remained for twelve years. Once back on the peninsula, he opened his own pondok.
- Awang Besar bin Seman, Kampung Tanjung (maternal uncle, his first teacher on the recitation of al-Qur’an).
- Tuan Guru Haji Ahmad b. Awang Besar b. Tok Mat Denan, Kampung Jerai (until he was 12 years old).
- Pak Cik Wan Da’ud Patani (1866-1936), Mecca
- Tuan Guru Haji Yahya Raman (Cher Pak Ya al-Ramani; Mecca)
- Shaykh Muhammad Nur b. Muhammad al-Fatani (1873-1944), Mecca
- Pa Da ‘El Patani (1882-1965), Mecca
- Shaykh Muhammad Mukhtar Atarid, Bogor (Mecca)
- Shaykh Muhammad Ahyad Muhammad Idris, Bogor (Mecca)
- Shaykh Muhammad Ali al-Maliki, Ketua Ulama Fiqh 4 Madhhab (Mecca)
- Shaykh Sayyid Alawi b. Sayyid ‘Abbas al-Makki
- Shaykh Muhammad Arabi
- Tuan Guru Haji ‘Umar Zahidi b. Haji Salih, Pondok Banggol Berangan, Lanai
- Tuan Guru Haji Awang Embun b. Haji ‘Umar, Kampung Sadik
- Ustaz Haji ‘Abd Allah b. Awang Besar
- Ustaz Haji Yusuf b. ‘Isma’il, Baling, became AJK Penasihat Ibadat Haji Lembaga Tabung Haji
- Tuan Guru Haji Muhammad Yusuf Batu 4 Jalan Yala, Betong, Thailand
- Tuan Haji Shihab al-Din, became Imam Masjid Baling
- Ustaz Haji Sulayman b. ‘Ibrahim al-Fahmi, Mudir Yayasan Khariah
- Ustaz Haji Yahya b. Haji Awang Besar, his nephew, Imam Masjid Kampung Tanjung, Kupang
- Ustaz ‘Abd al-Rahman Da’ud
- Ustaz Satimin Satipin, from Indonesia
- Ustaz Haji Ilyas b. Haji Hashim, guru Yayasan Khairiyah
- Pak Su b. Haji Ahmad b. Haji ‘Abd al-Rahman
- Ustaz Haji ‘Isma’il b. Haji ‘Ali, Imam Masjid Kuala Jempol, Negeri Sembilan
- Sheikh Ahmad Zahari, Mecca
- Ustaz Haji Zawawi b. Haji Ahmad, became Pensyarah Universiti Malaya and Ahli Parlimen Padang Terap
- Sheikh Haji Hassan b. Rashid, the first Musir Yayasan Khairiah
- Ustaz Datuk Haji Muhammad Da’ud b. Che Ngah, became Pengurus Besar (Bimbangan) Lembaga Tabung Haji.
- Awang, Ismail, “Haji Wan Abdul Kadir Melor (1903-1958),” in Tokoh-tokoh Ulama’ Semenanjung Melayu, vol. 2, 2nd ed., 9-21. Kota Bharu: Majlis Ugama Islam dan Adat Istiadat Melayu Kelantan, 2007.