Popular Name(s): Tok Selehong
Biographical Details: b. 1871, in Kampung Lubok Jong, di pinggir Sungai Selehor. He began his early education in Patani, where he remained for seven years. Afterwards, he went to Mecca, where he studied for 18 years. Upon his return, he opened a pondok in Selehor, c. 1340/1921, which drew students from Johor, Melaka, Pulau Pinang, Pahang, Palembang, Java, and Siak. He is remembered as a person with great artistic talent for drawing. He was good friends with Tok Kenali. d. 8:30 pm Khamis, 18 Dhu’l-Qa’dah 1353/22 Feb 1935.
- ‘Abd al-Rashid, Kuala Bekah, but this teacher was captured/arrested by the Siamese government, so he continued his studies with 2 below. Perhaps beginning his studies c. 1889.
- Tuan Guru Haji ‘Abd Allah Bendang Jong. He studied with him in Patani a total of about 7 years.
- Pak Cik Wan Daud (1866-1936), first of his teachers in Mecca
- Tuan Guru Haji Che Mamat b. Haji Sharif (from Kok Keli, Tumpat)
- Tuan Guru Pak Su Wel b. Che ‘Ali (from kampung Dangar, Pasir Mas
- Tuan Guru Haji Salih Pedada b. Yusuf (Bunohan, Tumpat)
- Tuan Guru Pak Cik Dir (Haji Abdul Kadir) b. Haji ‘Abd al-Samad (Gaal, Pasir Putih)
- Tuan Guru Haji Pak Man (Sulayman) b. Haji Omar (Cabang Tiga Berangan, Tumpat)
- Tuan Guru Haji Ya’qub b. ‘Uthman (Wakaf Bharu)
- Tuan Guru Haji ‘Abd Allah b. Haji Senik (guru al-Quran kenamaan in Pasir Mas)
- Tuan Guru Haji Ya’qub b. Ishaq (Berangan, Tumpat)
- Awang, Ismail. “Tok Selehong (1871-1935), in Tokoh-tokoh Ulama’ Semenanjung Melayu, vol. 1, 3rd ed., 293-301. Kota Bharu: Majlis Ugama Islam dan Adat Istiadat Melayu Kelantan, 2001.